Oh, Paula Deen. Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if not for your Bisquick, butter, and Ritz cracker-loving self.
I think this might actually be my first Paula Deen recipe to actually make, but I've read one of her cookbooks and earmarked a few things to try. This has been on my list for months, so I'm really pleased that it was chosen as a Dinner Divas recipe for November.
I had a few problems with it. Someone mentioned that they found it a little watery, so I decreased the broth addition to the cream of chicken soup, but I think the problem might actually come from the Bisquick. Somehow, I did not get a pretty, even biscuit layer on top of my chicken pot pie. It was still good, but I might tinker around with it a little more and perhaps switch up the milk to Bisquick ratio. Other changes are notated below.
Paula Deen's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie
(source: Paula Deen)
- 2 cup chopped cooked chicken breast (I used shredded chicken breasts)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced (I omitted. That sounded gross to me.)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- Salt and pepper, optional
- 1 1/2 cup instant biscuit mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick melted butter (I halved the butter and still had pools of it floating on top.)
- 1 cup chicken broth (I used maybe 1/4 cup.)
- I also added 1/2 cup frozen corn
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a greased 2-quart casserole, layer the chicken, eggs, carrots, and peas. Mix the soup, chicken broth, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour over the layers. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole. Drizzle butter over the topping. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30-45 minutes