Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wasabi Salmon with Bok Choy, Cabbage, & Shiitakes

I grew up watching Indiana University college basketball with my mom. If you want proof of our street cred, we had two (not simultaneous) cats named Bobby Knight. Since they moved to Nashville, my parents have had season tickets to Vanderbilt men’s basketball games, and as one of my alma mater’s and the place of our employment, Joe and I have also become Commodores fans. Since the athletics at my undergraduate university were seriously lacking and not supported by the student body, it’s been exciting to watch some real student-athletes populate a good, talented team. Unlike other universities, a lot of our players stay to get their degree, so the fans get to watch them develop as players and people. They’re actually STUDENT-athletes, and I enjoy cheering for a team that I can be proud of on and off the court. After our big SEC tournament win, we were headed to the NCAA tournament for March Madness. Unfortunately, Saturday night’s game against Wisconsin didn’t go as we had hoped, and I was devastated for this group of seniors that the season ended with frustration and anger.

secchamps55031112teamhwe 

So thanks to Festus, Steve, Lance, Jeff, and Brad for being great men and great athletes. We’ll miss you, but we know that there are great things to come for you all. Thanks for making this season one to remember. I’m holding out hope for the women’s basketball team to make a big run in the NCAA tournament!

Unlike these guys, I’m not naturally athletic. I played basketball in 7th grade and scored a grand total of 2 points. I was cut from the cross-country team my sophomore year (which is a long and painful story). But I can always get behind lean protein and veggies. One of my major dietary weaknesses is carbs, but I didn’t even miss them in this meal. I made two salmon fillets and 1/2 the mayonnaise mixture but the full amount of vegetables. For a one-pan, 30-minute meal, this one is awfully elegant and sophisticated. Perfect with a bottle of white wine on a warm spring day.

IMG_4031

Wasabi Salmon with Bok Choy, Cabbage, & Shiitakes
source: Bon Appetit

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (Japanese horseradish paste)
  • 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
  • 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated
  • 4 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets (preferably wild)
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • 1 pound baby bok choy, halved (or regular, chopped)
  • 2 cups (packed) finely shredded green cabbage (about 5 ounces)
  • 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced if large (or 4 oz package mixed gourmet mushrooms)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 450°. Heat a large rimmed baking sheet for 15 minutes.

  • Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise and wasabi in a small bowl. Stir in half of ginger and half of garlic; set aside. Season fish all over with salt and pepper. Place bok choy, cabbage, and mushrooms in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and add remaining ginger and garlic. Toss to coat; season with salt and pepper.

  • Scatter vegetables across one side of baking sheet. Arrange salmon on other side. Roast, stirring vegetables occasionally, until salmon is cooked through, 12–15 minutes. Divide vegetables among plates; top with salmon. Serve wasabi mayonnaise alongside.