Friday, February 10, 2012

11 Random Facts About Me

Courtenay over at Auto-Pilot Legs tagged me in this meme that I’ve seen on other blogs, and I figured, hey, it’s content since I’m obviously not doing any real cooking as of late. Also, one of my favorite things to talk about is myself so of course I’ll jump on any opportunity to do so (see: having a blog). But because I’m a rebel, I’m not going to follow the rules.

34870004

1. Things that, at one time or another, I have said that I would never do but ended up doing anyway: move back to Texas for college, get married, watch all of the Harry Potter movies, be a runner, and wear jeggings.

2. Living in Nashville, I occasionally still have dreams of becoming a back-up singer for some big country act. I might practice by singing harmony to the radio.

CIMG0110

3. I rode in Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans for two years while Joe played keyboard in the band. It was the best way to see Mardi Gras without being in the middle of the crowds. I also ended up with a sore wrist from playing shaker and dancing.

4. I love working with and around children, but I really don’t want to have any of my own.

CIMG0886

5. As kids, my brother and I didn’t grow up with a lot of sweets or candy around, and to this day, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth. I’ll take a glass of wine over dessert nearly any day.

tj2

6. I went to boarding school in northern Michigan (specifically, northwestern lower Michigan) for my junior and senior years of high school. Usually people are like, “Wow, what was that like?” It was amazing. Pure awesomeness. 

7. My favorite books as a kid were Charlotte’s Web and Matilda. Sometimes I would try to move things with my mind like Matilda.

8. I thought I was smart until I went to graduate school. That was a rude awakening.

Interlochengroup

9. Sometimes I’m afraid I peaked too early. In 8th grade, I played my dream role of Marian the Librarian in The Music Man. My senior year of high school, I was a finalist for a Presidential Scholar of the Arts and was flown to Miami with the other finalists (see picture above). Since then, it’s been pretty mediocre.

10. I have never won an election. All of the times I ran for student class representative, fine arts representative, student body vice president, whatever. Never won a single election. My mom says I’m saving it up for when I’m elected bishop, which is sweet but probably something all clergy moms say.

11. I’m a total city girl. Being in the country at night freaks me out way more than being in an urban area at night, and I get confused when people from more rural areas complain about how “busy” Nashville is.

And here are the questions that Courtenay asked us:

1. What was the turning point in life that lead you to a more active/healthy lifestyle or has it always played an important role?

When I started dating Joe and saw that he made time to exercise even with a busy med school student schedule, I figured that I should make time too. I started to be more interested in living a healthy lifestyle food-wise when I got engaged and wanted to slim down for the wedding. I ended up losing 20 pounds.

2. What is your career and is it where you want to be? If not, what would your dream job be?

I’m an Episcopal clergyperson, currently serving as a chaplain at a children’s hospital and a youth minister at a parish. I’m trying to discern what my dream job might be, but I’m leaning towards school chaplaincy. I think I would love that.

3. What was the best day of your life so far?

My wedding day, closely followed by my ordination to the diaconate. On both days, it was wonderful to be surrounded by friends and family and lifted up. They were very holy and sacred days.

4. Who in your life has had the most positive influence on you? Why?

So many people throughout my life, but I’ll probably have to say Joe since being married to him really has made me a better person.

5. Are you a picky eater? If so, what foods absolutely disgust you? If not, what’s your favorite food that you never get sick of?

Nope, not a picky eater at all. My favorite food is cheese, preferably with some sort of carbohydrate. Macaroni and cheese, cheese quesadilla, cheese and crackers, chips and queso. Love.

6. Chocolate? Vanilla? Neither?

Eh, probably chocolate more than vanilla, but I have trouble with straight chocolate. I need fruit or nuts or some other flavor to break it up.

7. What’s your favorite form of cross-training?

Some sort of group exercise. I’m currently on a Bikram yoga kick, but I also spin or BodyPump.

8. If you run races, what’s the best race experience you have ever had?

I’ve had a lot of good race experiences, but the best have been the Oak Barrel Half Marathon (April 2011) and the Women’s Half Marathon (September 2011) in Nashville.

9. What was your very first job? How long did you work there?

My first real job was as an Assistant Account Executive in the Travelers Insurance Special Liability Group. I worked there just less than a year.

10. Favorite TV show or movie?

Love Actually. I love that movie. I’m such a sap at heart.

11. Have you ever met anyone famous? If so, who??

I’ve met Anthony Rapp (the original Mark Cohen in Rent) and had dinner with Oliver Stone because he was a friend of the father of a friend of mine. I also know a few people who are now famous but weren’t when I knew them. Oddly enough, I am really not good at seeing famous people in Nashville.

Enough about me, what do you think about me?