Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mango-Agave Sorbet

There was a full package of frozen mango in my freezer staring me in the face every time I opened the freezer door. I adore mango and wanted to do justice to the flavor but just hadn't come across exactly what I was looking for. Then I saw this recipe several places in a few days and knew that it was what I had been waiting for. Oddly enough, we did not have tequila in our house, but that could be remedied. I found the agave nectar at Trader Joe's.

This sorbet is out of this world. The lime and mango flavors complement each other so well, and there is just a hint of tequila flavor. The agave nectar acts as a sweetener and is an alternative to sugar. I think this might be Joe's new favorite dessert!

Mango-Agave Sorbet
source: Cooking Light

Ingredients
4 cups cubed, peeled mango (about 3 lbs fresh mango)
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges)
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
1/3 cup tequila
3/4 cup light agave nectar
1/3 cup water

Preparation

1. Combine mango, orange juice, lime juice, and tequila in a food processor or blender and pulse to combine until smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the agave nectar and water, stirring to combine. Cover and chill for several hours.

2. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the ice cream maker's instructions. Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container, and cover and freeze for 8 hours.