Thursday, August 11, 2011

Easy Weeknight Thai Curry

I’ve been a little quiet about what I’m going to be up to post-graduation, post-ordination, and post-camp. In large part, that’s because I DIDN’T KNOW. Without going into the nitty-gritty details, the usual plan of action would’ve been to return to Texas but because somebody has a job as a hotshot doctor and I prefer to live in the same state as my husband at this point in our marriage, I am staying in Nashville with the permission of the bishops. Besides, Joe probably would not have let me take these guys with me.

CIMG0057

So I ended up scrambling around and waiting for God to lead me to that perfect fit where my gifts and talents will be appreciated and used and where I can grow into the minister that God has called me to be. Through a little bit of a fluke and with the encouragement of some dear friends, I interviewed for a year-long chaplaincy residency and got it. I’m going to be a chaplain at the same top-ranked academic hospital where Joe works.

But I also needed to be serving in a parish, not only because I want to and very much feel called to liturgical ministry, but also because my ordination to the priesthood is contingent upon it. After waiting, lots of meetings over coffee, and the connections made through other clergy, it finally happened. Within a few days, everything was squared away for me to serve at an absolutely fabulous parish just a few miles from my house.

However, this also means that I’ll be working six days a week. Not to mention trying to squeeze in making dinner and exercising. So now seems like a prudent time to expand my repertoire of meals that come together in less than 20 minutes. Adding tofu, tempeh, shrimp, or chicken to this might take slightly longer, and I was surprisingly satisfied without a protein, particularly with the brown rice noodles. We spiced it up by adding a bit of Sriracha. Either way, very fast, very satisfying, and enough for leftovers.

CIMG1432

Easy Weeknight Thai Stir-Fry
adapted from Sing For Your Supper
Yields 4 servings

Ingredients
1 16 oz package of frozen stir-fry vegetables
1 8 oz package of brown rice noodles
1 cup lite coconut milk
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
Chopped cilantro, to garnish
Sriracha, optional

Preparation

1. Soak brown rice noodles in hot water until softened. Meanwhile, cook frozen stir-fry vegetables in a pan with a little bit of oil until warm and cooked through.

2. Mix together the coconut milk and red curry paste. Pour mixture over the vegetables and heat thoroughly. Add in noodles and toss to coat.

3. Garnish with cilantro and Sriracha to taste.