Chickpea and Spinach Curry
adapted from Epicurious
- 2 cups dried chickpeas, picked over
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
In large bowl, combine chickpeas and enough cold water to cover by two inches. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Drain chickpeas, then combine in slow cooker with 1 cup water. Cover and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 4 hours. Add spinach, tomatoes and their juices, coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, curry, cayenne, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook 1 hour more. Sprinkle in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir in cilantro and serve.