Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chicken Piccata


Why hasn't anyone told me how easy and quick chicken piccata is to make? My absolute favorite dish at Damian's in Houston, the Italian restaurant Joe took me to the night we got engaged, is veal piccata. (Yes, I know. Tortured baby cow.) But I don't often have veal in my freezer the way I normally have chicken. So when I kept seeing recipes for chicken piccata, it looked like something I could do on a weekday, even a Wednesday when I have to scoot off to choir rehearsal by 6:40.

This is definitely a dish I will be making again. The flavors are nice and light for a summer evening. If I was making this for a special occasion, I would serve it with a side of freshly homemade pasta to soak up the extra sauce. Since it was just a weekday, I steamed some broccoli with a little seasoning to go with the chicken.

Chicken Piccata
source: Closet Cooking

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4" thick
salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 splash dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 lemon (juice)
1/2 lemon (sliced)
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)

Preparation

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge the chicken in the flour.
3. Heat the oil and butter in a pan.
4. Add the chicken and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side and set aside.
5. Place the wine, stock, lemon juice, lemon slices and capers in the pan and deglaze it.
6. Simmer until the liquids reduce by half.
7. Stir in the butter and pour over the chicken and garnish with the parsley