Thursday, March 19, 2009

Baked Gnocchi

I have to admit that I'm a sucker for creamy dishes. I know they aren't good for me, and I always try to "healthify" it to an extent. I try not to make too many of them, but I'd had this bookmarked since November! Plus, I threw it together Tuesday morning, and Joe put it in the oven when he got home, so dinner was ready when I walked through the door. Perfection!

I halved the original recipe and added some baby bella mushrooms I had lying around. I'm going to put the amounts of things that I used. The goat cheese permeates this dish would great flavor, and I used lots of fresh ground pepper.

Baked Gnocchi
source: Reservations Not Required, originally Giada's Everyday Pasta
Yields 4 servings

Ingredients
1 (17-oz) package potato gnocchi
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
6 oz baby spinach
1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place the gnocchi in a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking dish. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cream, half and half, broth, and flour over medium heat. Continue whisking until the sauce is simmering and thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir to combine. Add the spinach and mushrooms and toss to coat in the cream. Pour the cream and spinach mixture evenly over the gnocchi and gently spread the spinach out to cover.
Crumble the goat cheese over the spinach. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake until the top is golden in places, about 30 minutes.